EPILOGUE TO “ON MAN’S BEST FRIEND”


It is amazing how much yearning a pet’s loss can produce to have another, another best friend

As in my post, after my pet Snoopy passed away, we brought a new member to our family, a German Spitz, and named him Scruffy. He was the playmate of my son and daughter, and now we had a driver as a family member who took care of him when we were away. Scruffy grew to a ripe age of twelve years or so, before he became sick with a bad cough. The vet gave him some medicines and he seemed to improve. A few days later he had another episode and I searched the net to learn that at this age, the dog may have a cardiac problem. We again took him to the vet, and I voiced my concern. He just brushed my doubts and gave him another shot of antibiotic and, this time, a steroid. When we reached home, he lay on the carpet, coughing and breathing heavily. Suddenly, all was quiet, and I was alarmed. I checked to note that he wasn’t breathing and didn’t have a heartbeat. We rushed him back to the vet, who merely pronounced him dead. With heavy hearts we brought him back. That night we buried him in our compound where he now rests in peace.

Soon after we went to the US. My wife was very insistent and adamant we were not going to get another pet. After all the hassle of rearing them, after all the love and caring, they just pass away leaving you heartbroken. My son and I had other plans, however. On our return to India we promptly got ourselves a German Shepherd female pup and named her Arya, after the Greek goddess. Arya took to the one-person in the house most averse to a new pet, namely my wife. She became like Mary’s little lamb following her around, watching what she was doing. She became so protective of her that no one dare approach her if she is sitting next to her, which is most of the time. At night she sleeps next to my wife, and with her warning growls, I have a problem getting into bed oftentimes. She is now the darling of the household. We don’t ever, in fact we dare not ever, imagine a day without her. So addictive are pets!
                                                             This is to all pet lovers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ON VALENTINES DAY___BRUSHES WITH ROMANTICISM

RUMINATIONS OF A COLUMBAN

YOU, ME AND US